The Lindell Club is a privately-owned, non-profit club that since 1950 has served the St. Louis area recovery community.
Who We Are
Located in the historic Central West End in St. Louis, MO, the building is a former residence designed by architect William Levy in 1894 for Isaac Schwab, a St. Louis clothier who was also president of Temple Israel and served on the board of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition Company which organized the 1904 World’s Fair. It remained a private home until the 1930s when it was acquired by St. Louis University.
In 1950, Hugo Schumaker and a group of people involved in Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), purchased the house near Taylor and Lindell Blvd. The house was then set up as a private, not-for-profit entity called the 4522 Club. Its new purpose was to serve as a clubhouse and meeting place for members of AA. It is said to be the oldest such club west of the Mississippi River. St. Louis Jesuit Fr. Edward P. Dowling, S.J., who is credited with starting AA in St. Louis, played a role in its acquisition. It was also visited by Alcoholics Anonymous founder Bill Wilson.
Today, the mission of the Club is “to provide a safe, sober environment for members and guests to meet and socialize and to extend the welcoming hand of recovery to all who seek it.”
What We Do
Over the years the Club has evolved into a premier meeting location with a short-order restaurant and dining area. We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation that is not affiliated with Alcoholics Anonymous or other organization. Our membership is comprised of members of the recovery community and supporters. We host over 50 meetings a week and serve over 1000 guests. The Lindell Club is nationally recognized in the larger recovery community. Please visit, all are welcome!
There's a Place for You Here
With meetings happening each week for a vareity of recovery and support groups, there’s a place for you here. Our longstanding tradition of serving the St. Louis community is what makes our club unique.